Fio is seeking to fill the following new position:User Experience Designer.
Fio Corporation of Toronto, Canada, is a global leader at the intersection of forces reshaping global healthcare: big data aggregation; predictive analytics and insights; artificial intelligence; mobile smart technology; and decentralization of care delivery. Fio innovated and globally markets a scalable solution consisting of AI-powered, hand-held smart-devices integrated with cloud services. The devices enable average frontline healthcare workers to perform diagnostic tests like labs and provide treatment like experts. Simultaneously, the devices automatically upload valuable frontline data to Fio’s cloud, which gives remote supervisors, public health agencies, funders, governments, and industry real-time access to unprecedented insights. These insights eliminate waste, improve care, pinpoint opportunities, and enable rapid response to threats.
Uniquely, Fio has brought such a solution to where most healthcare happens – clinics, offices, and health posts (ie, below the level of hospitals). Fio’s clients include ministries of health, leading private healthcare providers, the US Department of Defense, the Gates Foundation, and leading health technology companies. Fio markets in developed countries and in frontier economies building new healthcare systems.
Fio’s solution can disseminate frontline insights to remote stakeholders overseeing trillions of dollars and millions of health workers, while improving frontline care for billions of people.
Fio is introducing the next generation of connected health technology to optimize frontline healthcare in Kenya. Fio is seeking a User Experience Designer to conduct UX testing in Kenya and work with the Toronto-based development team to iterate designs. Reporting to the VP Product management, the User Experience Designer will use human-centered design tools and methods at various stages of product development. The Specialist will collaborate with product and clinical teams to define user needs and requirements, characteristics of use (e.g. user group, use environment), and workflow. The incumbent is required to communicate findings and recommendations to Fio HQ and follow through on implementation strategies, as necessary.
This assignment is expected to be approximately four to six months in duration and will be based primarily in Kenya, with significant travel to Toronto as well. There may be an opportunity for this assignment to be extended to include additional countries.
The incumbent should have previous experience working in developing world healthcare settings both in rural and urban environments. The incumbent will be working directly with healthcare workers and with managers at various levels from ministries of health.
- Understand Fio’s current and upcoming product line, as well as development processes
- Research and define user needs and requirements, characteristics of use (e.g. user group, use environment), and task analyses
- Contribute to the creation of user personas, storyboards, mock-ups, UI prototypes
- Design protocols for design testing using human-centered design tools
- Conduct UX testing in Kenya in collaboration with other Fio team-members
- Communicate findings and relevant recommendations to internal and external stakeholders of all organizational levels
- Collaborate closely with product and clinical teams to guide product changes
- Iterate product testing, re-design as required
- Conduct human-factors training, mentorship, and capacity building for development and product teams in Kenya
- 5+ years’ experience in UX/UI usability and/or human-centred design
- Experience creating experience maps, site/app maps, wireframes, and interactive prototypes
- Experience working in healthcare settings in the developing world, especially Africa
- Experience in the mobile health technology sector and with rapid diagnostic testing are assets
- Able to work in low-resource settings, including urban and remote clinics
- Exceptional interpersonal skills to unlock what users are thinking and feeling about a product
- Able to recognize good design; able to develop, support, and defend design recommendations because of a solid grasp of human factors science and design principles
- Able to design and run controlled usability studies
- Excellent writing skills
- Fluent in English. French and Swahili are definite assets
Disclaimer: The information in this profile has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this role.
Interested candidates may send their CVs to the following email address: careers[at]fio.com
Please use the following subject line in the message: Job Application – User Experience Designer